The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith has named 21 resident assistants for the upcoming school year. These RAs will support and encourage fellow students through the transition of beginning college and living on campus, as well as help students in the UAFS residence halls feel welcomed and at home.
Ten new RAs will join 11 returning RAs as part of the housing and residential life crew for the 2019-20 academic year at UAFS. RAs will serve in the North and South Lion’s Den residential buildings, as well as the Sebastian Commons apartments.
“The RAs are one of the top reasons that living on campus is a “value-added” experience compared to other living options.” said Beth Eppinger, director of housing and residential life. “They provide social and educational events, they assist in roommate mediations, they connect residents to campus resources, and they provide a safe and fun home.”
The 2019–20 RAs went through two weeks of intensive training in August, said Eppinger, continuing the education they’ve received throughout the summer via newsletters and quizzes.
New RAs include:
- Joel Bustillos of Heavener, Oklahoma, Lion's Den
- Jomar Francisco of Little Rock, Lion's Den
- Anna Kidd of Prairie Grove, Lion's Den
- Allyson Richert of Elkins, Lion's Den
- Taylor O'Connor of Elkins, Lion's Den
- Captain Pickett of Van, Texas, Lion's Den
- Spencer Simpson of Noble, Oklahoma, Lion's Den
- Matthew Womack of Poteau, Oklahoma, Lion's Den
- Ginny McCoy of Fayetteville, Sebastian Commons
- Chloe Keeling of Farmington, Sebastian Commons
Returning RAs who will serve in the Lion’s Den are Kaitlyn Brasher of Alma; Madison Coker of West Fork; Emily Dyke of Elkins; Breanna Noble of Lavaca; and Allie Van Houden of Pea Ridge.
Returning RAs for the Sebastian Commons are Davin Chitwood of Fort Smith; Shandreka McCullough of Farmington; Maddi of Ware of Rogers; Bheyleigh Nufer of Russellville; Chandler Petray of Van Buren; and Zac Wolfe of Greenland.
To become a resident assistant, students must attend an information session in February, complete an application packet, go through a group interview process and a background check, and participate in individual interviews.